With my 26th birthday less than a month away, I can’t help but reflect on the lessons I’ve learned along the way. I’ve had my share of blunders in life and in order to prevent you from doing the same, I have decided to share a few with you.
1. If you’ve been known to be a bit of a hypochondriac in your past, get several doctors rather than just one. Sure, I’ve had my fair share of self-misdiagnoses in life but had I separated my visits out among many doctors instead of just one, my doctor would have taken me just a little bit more seriously when I announced my impending death from Silent Death Syndrome a few years back. I’m lucky I survived it despite the neglect of my doctor but I can’t pretend it wasn’t a close one.
2. When it comes to getting gas, you should aim to get it before your car breaks down on the side of the road. If you can succeed in making it to the gas station, be sure you remove the pump from your vehicle before driving off to spare yourself some embarrassment.
Gas pump in the back of my truck; those things can be tricky.
3. Try to avoid vomiting after eating pickles; they are not nearly as delicious the second time around and it’s alarmingly painful. (For the record, I am not bulimic - just a binge drinker.)
4. Hitting pedestrians is not just frowned upon; it is highly illegal. This one is hard to grasp because there’s almost nothing in life more gratifying than giving pedestrians a little nudge with your vehicle however some people don’t share the same sense of humor. While you may have hit dozens of them and gotten off scotch free in the past; inevitably, one day you will hit the wrong human and face serious consequences.
5. When in an interview, know how much you want to make before hand. My very first phone interview out of college I was at my parent’s house answering questions like a boss until the salary question came up and my response was “I’m looking for around 10k.” My mom came flying in, shocked that she had raised such a fool, and I said “Oh, did I ask for too much?” Needless to say, I was never called back.
Those are just a few tidbits of information I have gained in life; high level knowledge that one couldn’t possibly be expected to know on their own. You can thank me later.
Today is my Friday so sorry about your luck if you have to work tomorrow!